Thursday, July 30, 2009

I really should have seen this coming......


Yesterday morning I did my errands on my run. I loaded up the stroller with dry cleaning, and FHE lesson I need laminated, and my stuff for the post office. I had never tried to do this while running before. It was a success! I was at my last stop. The post office.
I was frantically trying to get my stuff shoved into a flat rate box and get it addressed. The kids are screaming, throwing snacks. One of the post office workers came to my aid. He was talking with Nate ("do you know what a stomach looks like? How long are intestines?"- Nate) and then Nate asked the male clerk, for obvious reasons, "Are you going to have a baby?"
I just pretended that I didn't hear and continued writing the address on the box, proceeded to the clerk, and got out of there! Fastforward 8 hours to last night. We love to go to the zoo Wednesday nights. Nate's favorite things at the zoo: rocking out to the live band, the dairy barn (where they have a milk truck he can play in) and the domestic house cat. I am ready to go. We decide to make one last stop at the Bird House. Chris is pointing to a bird in a nest trying to get Nate's attention, but Nate was looking at a woman behind us. He stared at her for a second then said, loudly,
"Is she going to have a baby?"
"Nate, look at this bird!"
"Dad! Is she going to have a baby?"
Without looking, but very aware who Nate was speaking of, Chris answers, "No, Nate. See that bird up there?"
" DAD! That momma right there. Is SHE going to have a baby?"
At that point we just booked in out of the exhibit, humiliated but trying to hold in laughter. I think I have reached the point of no return. It is no longer safe to go in public.

6 comments:

Heather O'Brien said...

Oh that cute little Nate...I love him. He is the best. Seriuosly. I miss that little cuite. That is so funny. I am still laughing pretty hard. If it makes you feel any better, my little nephew went up to some ladies behind, starting punching it while saying, "Fat butt, fat butt!". Miss you guys.

Abby said...

Haha. We have a classic story in our family about Aaron when he was little. He was with my mom and turned to her, pointing to a rather "large" man, and said loudly, "Mom, why is that man so fat?!"

Cute pictures!

ayoungblut said...

I think Nate asked me when I was going to have MY baby, LOL

Unknown said...

I know Harold calls him Bear, but I'm convinced that Andy's new crawl is a copy of the baby elephant in The Jungle Book...

Ashley said...

Funny. Funny. Andy doesn't want to get his knees dirty hu?

Oh. On that pic. The little girl was standing in front of white siding on a camp trailer. The edges were really clean, so I used the lasso tool in photoshop and dumped a bucket of black on it.

Heidi Miller said...

So funny. I love the pure honesty of kids. So cute!!!