Thursday, February 11, 2010

Andy


Andy will be 18 months next week. He is really starting to come in to his own. As my second, I view him as such a baby still (where as Nate was on his way to manhood by this age). Today he found a cat toy and brought it to me and I said, "that's for the kitty. Go give it to Kitkat" and he walked across the room, looked under the chair, and tried to lure the cat out with the toy. I just watched and realized he is not the baby I treat him as. Then I started to panic and think maybe he won't be ask inquisitive and curious and smart as Nate is because I don't explain anything to him or talk to him. You know the mom-guilt that comes whenever you realize you have done something wrong or misread a situation.
I think I treat him as a baby as a self-defense mechanism. I tell Nate we can't have another baby yet because Andy is still a baby. Only one baby at a time (and ever time I say that I say a prayer under my breath that we won't have twins because that is the type of thing that would happen to me. I make a claim and then the Lord proves me wrong- such as "We won't take a job any farther north than Iowa). So I feel like I am hanging on to his "babiness" just for the joy of having a baby in the house.

Ways he tells me he is not a baby:

Hates to be carried or held. Ever.

When I say, "Okay, Nate. It's time to go." Andy gets his shoes and sits by the door and waits for me to put them on.

After dinner he walks up to the tub (and climbs in- clothes and all)

He refuses to sit in a high chair anymore. He insists on sitting next to Nate (and then steals Nate's milk when he isn't looking)

6 comments:

Heather O'Brien said...

Why did we have to leave each other? Our kids would have so much fun together. Peyton totally reminds me of Nate when he was younger. SO MUCH! I miss you! Andy is adorable. Your kids are talking maniacs! holy cow!

Heidi Miller said...

Andy is so cute Jen! I love his little face. This post reminded of the same realizations I have had lately about Rebekah. She totally does the dinner thing, the bath thing, the shoe thing, etc. So cute and I am so not ready for her to be big yet either. Btw, in regards to your posts about decorating . . . can you decorate my future home someday? I am no talent in this area. :)

[RochelleG] said...

sweet boy. he is growing up.

vanessa said...

Cute pics of Andy! He's growing up.

Trudy said...

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle. I really like this post.

ayoungblut said...

Your posts make me smile all the way from the inside out. I am glad that you enjoy being a mother!