Sunday, February 28, 2010

Know-it-all


I have been searching up and down for an affordable version of this sofa by John Derian for Cisco Brothers. With it's clean lines and minimalistic feel I thought I needed a modern furniture store. I have struck out every where I have tried.

This afternoon I gave up. Decided I am not going to find something I can afford. Instead of ordering a sofa for $X why don't I get one off of Craig's list with good bones and reupholster it and spend a fraction of the cost. Neither one is going to be exactly what I want. So why pay more?

That's when my education began.

I have spend a ridiculous amount of time online looking for anything that came close to that sofa from millions of websites. Nothing. Then I start searching Craig's List and Ebay for antique sofas and voowalla! These are from the Federal period. The second one, Sheraton style. Grrr... really wish I had taken History of Interiors in school.




Another one I oogled from Jayson Home and Garden
and it's antique counterpart. (take off the skirting and smooth out the pillow- very similar). Point being. This entire month I thought I was this new, modern woman. Not true my friends. In fact, It's the opposite (not that it bothers me, I am just relieved to have a direction to look to).

A few more of the originals:

I promise you, this style is going to come back strong.

4 comments:

vanessa said...

So funny! I'm glad you found some good options. I still think you're brave to reupholster but then you're good at it so I'm sure it will turn out great! Isn't craigslist addicting? I spend way too much time on there and rarely buy anything.

ayoungblut said...

Oh just buy that blue one and be done with it! :)

Jess said...

Hmmm. I'm thinking when Wes and I move again (not for a few years...) I'll have to have you come out and help me decorate my house! I am not creative. I am not a visionary. I need to see to realize- hey, that's cute. I need help pulling colors together. It appears, I may just need you! haha.

Trudy said...

This style is already back strong. It's in the magazines a lot. But what's in the magazines is often on the cutting edge, so that means you will be too.