Westward ho!
We met up with my brothers Brian and Chris and Chris's girlfriend, Andrea, outside of Portland just before lunch.(They were driving up from Utah).
Stopped at the Lock and Dam and fish hatchery. Then over to Multonomah Falls.
I don't know if I was tour-guide barbied out, but none of it was very engaging to me.
The waterfalls were breathtakingly beautiful, but it was such a turn-off how commercial it all is. We had an insane time trying to park and then work through throngs of people to get to the waterfall and up to the bridge.
It would have been magical to stumble upon such a natural wonder while hiking in the forest.
Not so much when you park and "get in line" to see it.




I know, he's rad.
Okay, it's still pretty great.
(photo by Brian)
After that we drove in to Portland. Checked in to our hotel and did a happy dance.
Erica was looking forward to the beds.
The kids were looking forward to bathtubs.
I was looking forward to not having to listen for bears while I slept. (yes, I am paranoid)
Brian stayed with the boys while I went to get my luggage.
I guess it took me longer than I realized, because when I returned, they had built a fort using every blanket, pillow, and a very creative use of the ironing board.
He also taught Andy how to do belly flops.
We walked over to a local diner for dinner.
Just the boys and me.
The waitress/cook/owner asked me if I wanted a lid for Nate's drink. I told her no, he would be fine. 5 minutes later he dumped an entire glass of chocolate milk all over the counter which streamed down on to the carpet. Ugh. When she returned and saw me moping up the mess with our napkins she silently brought out a rag, cleaned it up, filled Nate a new chocolate milk cup and looked at me as she smiled and snapped a lid on top.
I texted Brian a few menu items I thought would entice him and a few minutes later he arrived with mom and dad. After that, the boys spend most of the time with grandpa trying to win a toy out of the arcade game by the front door (I never said this was a classy place).
$5 later, they won a bag of dollar-store safari animals.
And it was declared the best day ever.
3 comments:
Multnomah Falls = total AWESOMENESS! So glad you got to explore the West coast :)
When I was much younger, my uncle took us under/behind those falls. So nice. This trip looks AMAZING! Thanks for sharing. What great memories you are making :)
What a fun adventure for the boys.
Post a Comment