Friday, September 30, 2011

Uncle Jon's Visit


Chris's brother was in Iowa for a few days in August and drove up to Milwaukee to spend some of the time with us before returning to med school in California. His visit fell in the middle of the week, so Chris was not around for most of it. When I first realized this I panicked a little bit. Usually Chris's parents come visit when his brother does. This was the first time he was visiting alone, and with Chris at work, I was afraid it would be awkward. He, a MDPHD student. Me, a stay at home mom. How much could we really have to talk about? Then I realized that if this was one of my brothers, I wouldn't think about that at all. And just like that, I realized he is one of my brothers. And it doesn't matter if his interests and mine are completely different. We are family. Family should erase all of the boxes we put ourselves in, define ourselves by and lump us all together in the same box. The love you have for each other and for the other family members is the common ground you start with.


park-playing.
frisbee tossing on the beach.
ice cream eating.

Yeah, we had a good time. all by our selves.



Park Review:
We visited Possibilities Park in Port Washington (right on the lake, just north of downtown). It was a smaller version of the Imagination Station in Oconomowoc, so I was a little underwhelmed from previously visiting the Imagination Station. The great things about this park were: they had a water misting area to cool kids off, it was right by the lake with stairs down to the lake. The beach was very clean and the waves were big. I hadn't prepped for a beach day- no swim trunks or beach toys, but if we go back, I absolutely would. Bathrooms right next to the playground (Imagination Station had port-a-potties). Many picnic tables and grassy areas to run/play/picnic. Great place to spend an entire day: take beach stuff, picnic lunch, soccer ball, bubbles. Port Washington also has a historic light house to visit (but I think it's only open on weekends). Worth the visit. Oh, another fun tip. This park is not a traditional playground. It is geared more for imaginative play (and handicap accessible). I took a bag of dress-up clothes and Nate (and Uncle Jon) ran around like pirates (there was a pirate boat much like the one at Imagination Station) looking for sunken treasure. Nate shared his pirate hat with a handicap girl in a wheel chair. Her mom was so delighted, she called the grandparents over to take pictures. It was a great experience for Nate to play side by side with many handicapped children. So two thumbs up for that. And remember to take dress up clothes!

1 comment:

Jonathan Russell said...

just found this post--thanks for the pics Jenny! I had an awesome visit.