Thursday, April 5, 2012

Everyone needs these

Photobucket
Photobucket

I picked up these wooden castle blocks on a whim while Black Friday shopping. Best. purchase. ever. Though the boys were not excited when they unwrapped them, hands down, they play with them more than any other toy they received 6 months ago. Practically every day. Some days they use every block to build elaborate castles with dozens of towers. One time Andy built one tall tower made of all the cylindrical blocks and then a pointed top. It looked like Rapunzel's tower, and when I said so, he beamed with pride. Today they were making a fortress for their ZuZu Pets (not a best.buy.ever) and other random toys that all get rounded up at the end of the day in to a box we lovingly call the "weird box" for all the toys that don't otherwise have a home.
(there are more blocks that are not pictured. They are in a basket. We have 2 sets which allows us to build awesome creations)

As you can see, Nate gives the blocks two thumbs up.


Photobucket

Sadly, they are not available from the seller or the price that I purchased at on Black Friday. The cheapest is available here. (I think I only paid $10 a set and we have two sets. Ah! I wish I would have bought a dozen and saved them for gifts)



We have had other wooden blocks before that the boys were not interested in. I think the painted on windows and doors make a HUGE difference in making it feel realistic and making their creations feel like an actual castle as well as the grooves in the wood that give the blocks character and detailing- shingles on a roof, etc. There are also battlement/crenelation pieces that add to the authentic feel.

No comments: