Friday, October 12, 2007

26.2 Miles of Memories





We returned from our marathon trip to Utah and I am feeling a bit lost. For the last few months I have thought about the marathon every day... and now it's over! A bit sad.... It was a great first marathon. I originally was going to go for my Boston Qualifying time of 3:40, but after I got sick a few weeks out from the marathon and was unable to run for 10 days, I knew that I needed to reevaluate things and set my goal on 4hrs. I did it! I came in just under 4. I broke the cardinal rule of running and used up a lot of energy early on- I didn't realize I was doing this, I felt like I was running my typical speed, but I was passing a lot of people... around mile 18 I ran out of gas, and they all passed me! I guess my adrenalin ran out! I didn't take my gu/ sport beans- they just made me feel sick so I only took 1/2 pack of sport beans, which probably wasn't the best for my energy level.... I can at least say that I have learned a lot for my next marathon. Yes, you read correctly, I do plan to run another one. I can't help it, it is really tempting to improve my time because I know I could easily. My next marathon I want to go all the way- try to train in all aspects, not just running. I want to eat right (sorry girls, no more fondue nights at my house right before the marathon), lift so weights, do crunches, etc. It is really nice to have a goal, to have a dream.




HIGHLIGHTS:



-Laying in bed with Erica (my SIL who also ran) the night before giggling because we were so excited
- Getting completely dressed in our gear the night before with Erica and then running up to my aunt, uncle and mom's room fully dressed to run the marathon with gloves and all- it gave everyone who saw a good laugh. We said we were going to sleep in it (photo to come!)
-The 40 min bus ride out of the city to the starting spot..... you can feel the excitement in the air
-the pre-race hang out by the bonfires and portapotties... being there with my mom, aunts and uncles, cousins and SIL
-starting the race with Erica and running the first few miles with her then hugging goodbye while running!
-reading all of the signs along the way: THERE WAS ONE SIGN THAT SAID "DON'T FORGET TO DRAFT. WHERE IS KEVIN?" it was at mile 22 I think, and if I could have laughed, I would have... I think I tried to laugh....
-reading all the signs that said, "mom you're my hero" written by little kids
- giving high-fives to all the little kids that stand next to the side of the road and feeling like a rock star
-reaching the top of Veo (very long- couple miles- hill)
-running past my family as they cheered and I got to see Nate and know he was okay
-crossing the finish line.... unforgettably overwhelming, emotional moment.
- being there to cheer on the rest of my family


My cousins took a bunch of photos, but I only took one. It is of me and Erica right after she finished. She is even gorgeous right after running for 4+ hrs! What a stinker! I love you Erica! Thanks for all the memories.

8 comments:

Chereebee said...

Way to go Jen!!! I am so proud of you!!!
I can't believe that you did it!!
I want to train for a marathon just so I can look like YOU - you teeny thing you!!!
You and Erica look so cute in your running gear :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You're my hero.

[BrookeO] said...

Congrats. What an accomplishment that conquers really more than just crossing the finish line. You are amazing...but I already knew that!
Loves.

esmiley said...

congrats. and racing can definitely be addicting!

Heather O'Brien said...

Hooray! You did it. What a HUGE accomplishment. I'm so proud of you. Glad you're back. We missed you.

Jessie Riley said...

WOW. I'm speechless. THIS POST IS AMAZING!
I'm so proud of you. This is SO COOL!

*OH. Did Cruss bring home that Duck costume?

Street Fam said...

Way to go Jen!! That is awesome! You've inspired me to run atleast a mile before the end of the year. I'm pathetic...I know!

Anonymous said...

So proud of YOU! I can't imagine how amazing that must feel to accomplish such a big goal! Now if only you could run the very LONG marathon that goes from Iowa to Idaho ... miss you!