Thursday, January 21, 2010

blahlblahblah lame-o blahblah

Alright. I am a bad daughter. I am withholding pictures of your grandsons. This is not personal. This is just laziness. Chris is going out of town on business this weekend so I will have no excuse to not get it done. In the mean time... feast your eyes on these beauties.

The Jacqui coffee table. Tonic home. love at first sight. Then, heartbreak. $750.

sigh.



If a room could be labeled "a breath of fresh air", this one would be it:
don't you love the lattice detail on the widows in the back ground? And how it is repeated in the loops on the arm chairs?
And the coffered ceiling?!
Augh! I need a house!

picture also from Tonic Home.

The rug search continues.
It was harder than I expected.
Complications were:
-cost- just can't justify spending more on a rug than our car is worth....

-color/pattern- coordinating with the chair patter/colors of the one my mom just did "with" me.

-size (the room is long and narrow. I rearrange the furniture. Now: the tv is in the middle of the bookshelves= 2 bookshelves on each side. the couch on the piano wall. piano on the tv wall. I did this because the room felt completely out of balance with the weight of the bookshelves on one side and the piano on the other. This new arrangement balances it visually, but it emphasizes the tunnel effect- long and narrow. I needed a rug to cover most of the area. Bigger than 8x10, which eliminated a lot of choices)
(oh how I would love to paint the trim and the orange wooded coat closet- to the left, next to the couch- a nice white. Maybe I will ask... it won't hurt to ask....)



The finalists:


The Fallon Rug in blue


or sky

Or these others.







I want a geometric/graphic element to the room to balance the floral chair. I originally was thinking damask or lotus print (I think they are a good balance between graphic and floral- a little of both) in a monochromatic design- blue on blue. No luck. I ended with the Moroccan lattice by default. It's growing on me though. I have admired the West Elm rugs similar to this (pictured below) for a long time. And, of course, now that I am ready to buy a rug, WE has discontinued them!

My plans for the room:
I am going to work with what I have. Of course, I would love to scrap everything and start over. Who wouldn't? But I know I will want to do that when we move into a house in a few years. With that said, the couch has to be re-slipcovered.

If I have the nerve I want to slipcover the couch in white. If I don't have the nerve, it will be a pale blue. With a short, box pleated skirt like this:

I think I will paint the wall behind the couch and stencil it. I love this wallpaper from BD, but don't want to spend $120 a roll.

And I don't want too much Moroccan tile pattern.


I think I will change the green chair to a blue velvet.

I am loving velvet right now. I think it's a little sassy.
I think I am going to send the piano back to Iowa. Design-wise, it is killing this space! Plus, we have books coming out of our ears, so I plan to have the bookcases wrap around the corner and line the wall that the tv was on in that first picture. .

That still leaves me with decorative art and window treatments.I have a few things stirring around in my head, but I have to get these main pieces of the puzzle put together before I start working on those.

And this is all driving me nuts! I want to get this room done so i can enjoy! Instead, right now, I sit in there and think of all the things that I want to do.

So now you know what I am doing. I have spent every second of internet time looking for rugs rather than blogging. Hopefully I will be done soon!

What about you guys? Anyone working on any projects?

And I will leave you with these beauties.

The Nixon Rug. Jonathan Adler.


Block Party. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/Block-Party-Blue-Area-Rug__F4468.html

Maybe for the boys room.....

and one more fabulous piece
of course, I need this lamp shade.

6 comments:

vanessa said...

Super cute, I love your style and all your pattern choices. You're very inspiring! Good luck with all the projects and decisions!

Abby said...

Jen, maybe I will just take all of your hard work and rug research and copy you becuase those rugs are exactly what I've been looking for for months.

I need a rug with blue in it but also with some pizazz--I love all your decorating ideas!

Abby said...

The Fallon rug in sky is my favorite (well...and in blue), but I also love the one in the middle under "or these others" (geometric pattern, almost a periwinkle blue). I'd appreciate any of the links that are easy for you to send along!

Carly said...

Loving all your ideas. I have been eyeing similar patterns in green. :) I'm loving green but you are definitely a blue girl. Have you been to this blog? http://www.knockoffwood.blogspot.com/
Please tell me you have. Every time I visit it I think Jen could totally build furniture like this! Glad you are back to posting, but I too want to see some pictures of your little cuties!

Jamie Ortega said...

Jenn you sound just like me! I have been trying to decorate my living room for months now and I havent made much progress. If we only had all the money in the world, our rooms would be done tomorrow.

Ashley said...

go for the white slip cover. My friend did the PB for her kids play room. Everyone gasped. However, she cleverly states that it is BLEACHABLE. The end.