Why do these rooms POP


while these rooms FLOP?



How can I call those flops? They are beautiful. It's true. They are nice, but they aren't amazing. I don't look at them a drool. They are boring. The problem is... I am boring. I like neat and nice and practical and 'gasp' monochromatic. The difference in the two sets of rooms a combination between warm and cool colors. To create interest. An alternative warm color is what takes a room from weak to wow. You can see what I mean with flop picture #3. Your eye is immediately drawn to the widow shade that is slightly yellowish and feels warm. Same with the small orange shell in flop picture #2. Visually, you desperately want a balance. I love monochromatic. It's safe. It's comfortable. It's easy. But, alas, I see. It's boring.
The fabric for the chair and my favorite rug choices.I don't want to do a green rug. So that means I need to come up with another plan to include green. AND I need to figure out how to work in a warm color to add interest. Pillows. Artwork. Hmm.... I guess I probably shouldn't do my blue velvet chair... Any suggestions? Anyone else struggling to shake monochromatic disorder?
'sigh'I need to go to design school.
3 comments:
i was just going to say that about you(the design school comment). and out of those carpet choices (all beautiful) i say the bottom left, or the one above it. i guess it just depends on weather you're going for a bold or calm feel.
Oh how I wish I could go to design school too! So I have the same questions too about my monochromatic room. How to keep my blue room, yet still add that pop that will make it beautiful. I should send you pictures of my room and furniture and you send me yours and we can play personal design consultant. Oh and my favorite rug is the bottom left.
I am really loving this new side to your blog. It has been fun seeing what you are doing because I too am in the process of reinventing my space as well. But I do think you have to keep one thing in mind. do what you LOVE. all these rules and this and that..I think sometimes that is what makes a room boring. DO what you are Drawn to. I was just reading the House of Beautiful mag and a designer said " a room should have an opinion and if everyone loves everything then I guess I did not do a very good job." I love the geometric rug you have posted. You have an awesome book case...maybe you could cover some of your books in different shades of green paper with interesting patterns to add that splash of green. You will do a great job. can't wait to see it.
Post a Comment