
Morning of day2, 680 miles logged
After the pancake breakfast Grandpa made, the kids and I went on an adventure while the others packed up. Our campsite was nestled in the beautiful black hills of South Dakota.
It was incredibly beautiful.
I didn't really have a plan while exploring. We were all wearing sandals.
And pajamas.
It never crossed my mind that we would be in any sort of danger until Lauren spotted a wild turkey.
And then another.
And another.
Pretty soon, I noticed there were about 6 wild turkeys that were not walking away from us, but coming toward us on the outside edge, as if to surround us. I have no idea if wild turkeys are territorial, or attack when feeling threatened, but I casually guided the kids back toward the campsite. I realized how I was lucky it was just a few turkeys- we could have stumbled upon a mamma bear and her cubs, or a mountain lion- anything really- and what could I do to protect those kids in my jammies and flip flops? We weren't in Iowa anymore.
We had a few stops as we drove to Yellowstone.
-Black Hills gold store (boys bought flecks of gold that are floating in a (sealed) glass jar
- a fun Wyoming visitors center where we ate lunch and the kids played soccer and climbed on rocks
Mostly we just enjoyed the beautiful, beautiful drive.
No comments:
Post a Comment