Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Sometimes it's good to be bad...


This afternoon Nate was really missing Chris since he is already locked himself away studying for finals. We were sitting around playing with blocks and listening to Christmas music when he grabbed my hand and pulled me into the kitchen. When we were in the kitchen he told me to pick him up. When I had picked him up he told me to open the freezer. When I opened the freezer he said, "ice cream!" I was so surprised he knew where the ice cream was that I pulled it out and handed it to him. He sat down on the kitchen floor and took off the lid. I figured out his plan, so I pulled out two spoons- a toddler size for Nate and a normal one for me. We ate ice cream for a couple of minutes, Nate saying "dinky" aka "thank you" after every few bites, then he noticed my spoon was bigger! He convinced me to trade, which followed with a big grin and another "dinky". When he had had enough he stood up and said, "ta ta" which means "tubby time" in our house. I thought he must want to get warmed up after eating icecream. We went up and he played in the tub for a while, then he said "gooks" aka books. So we went into his room, jammified him, and read books for about 30 min. Then he got off my lap, went to his crib and yelled "ginky" aka binky. Then it dawned on me- Nate thought ice cream was his dinner! After dinner each night he takes a tub, then we read books, then he goes to bed. He assumed ice cream was his dinner, and then walked me through his bedtime routine! I laughed because it was only 5:30! There was no way I was going to let him go down this early! I convinced him to come downstairs and play with his farm and wait for dad to get home from school. I was also able to get some "real" dinner into that cute little belly. He ate a lot of lasagna thank goodness! Anyway, so I felt like a bad mom for letting my son eat ice cream for dinner.... but it felt so good to sit on the kitchen floor and eat ice cream straight from the tub.

7 comments:

Heather O'Brien said...

Jen that is so cute! We've been having those kind of "anything goes" days lately too. P.S. Love the dance moves! Hallie will miss him while we're gone.

Chereebee said...

-k Jen that SERIOUSLY is the cutest thing EVER!!! I love that even though it was dinner time you sat with your little boy on the floor and ate ice cream - what a cute mom! That is so funny that he thought that was dinner and was ready for bed!!!

Anonymous said...

This is precious. I love Nate! And I loved getting to talk to him on the phone yesterday!

Heidi Miller said...

JEN!! I was laughing so hard at this post! You are SUCH a good mom. I can just see you sitting there on the floor withhim enjoying some ice cream. I hope Alex and I have a day like that sometime. You are the best!

Nancy K said...

CUTE, CUTE, CUTE! and FUN!

Anonymous said...

you should get BEST MOM OF THE YEAR award ... seriously, it probably didn't take too much cleaning up and made his day (bet you had fun watching him, too!). such a simple thing that brings smiles & fun to life!

[BrookeO] said...

It is the moments in life that make it big. Thanks for sharing.