Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Marathon

2 registration fees for Ashland, Wisconsin's Whistle Stop Marathon= $120
2 nights stay at the AmericInn with Splashland Waterpark = $400
Traditional pasta dinner the night before the race= FREE
2 knee replacements for Chris= $70,000
Running a marathon with your spouse= PRICELESS

at least that is what he thought at the time these pictures were taken....



Best Parts

  • training for months with Chris
  • running the marathon with Chris
  • having my mom there to watch the kids
  • late (9am) start time so I could eat breakfast beforehand
  • breathtaking scenery (the lake pictured above is at the start line with cell phone)
  • Looking over at Chris while I was running and smiling at each other
  • inside jokes- "Do you have a map?" "No, but I have an atlas"
  • my mom coming along (I know, but it needs to be said twice)
  • enjoying the norther Canadian sounding accents of "the locals"
  • planning future trips
  • s'mores (provided by the hotel- campfire was out back on the lake)
  • water park in the hotel
  • Going on a trip with the family


Worst Parts
  • Freezing cold! Literally, one of the water cups they handed to me at an aid station had a top layer of ice that had formed while the cup sat on the table
  • Ice on the road for the first few miles
  • FREEZING COLD at the start line with no bonfires or any way to keep warm
  • Nate setting the fire alarm off at the gas station (pushed the emergency exit bar on the door. The employee could not figure out how to get it to turn off. The fire department came)
  • realizing it was 7+ hours away, not 6
  • Chris hurt his knees. Badly.
  • SO COLD! I had 5 layers on top and, at times, I was STILL cold!

5 comments:

Heather O'Brien said...

YEAH! You guys ROCK! I didn't know Chris was running too! Can't believe how beautiful it is there! Those are some great pics. And LOVE little Nate. I was laughing about the fire alarm! Come to Texas, get warmed up in the 89 degree weather and Aaron can fix Chris's knees :). Love your guts!

vanessa said...

You guys are amazing. I don't think I could do that. Glad you had a good time of it all! looks like a beautiful place!

ayoungblut said...

You forgot my best thing which was spending time with the boys and their parents. We did the Great Lakes museum where Nate sat on my lap and told me this was so fun! Time well spent, anywhere I go with these 2 little guys!

Anonymous said...

WOW how fun & inspiring! I am always tempted to start running because everyone's marathon experiences sound so awesome BUT I have bad knees already so I am sure I wouldn't last even a few miles! Awesome pictures!

Ashley said...

the scenery looks amazing! congratulations.