Thursday, July 14, 2011

4th of July/ Great-Grandparent's: Day 3

Trudy was here the last few days to play with the boys while Chris and I had a thing.
I am so tired right now. 'sigh'. Prepare to be underwhelmed with the lack of awesomeness in this post.


4th of July.
Parade.
BBQ.
Fireworks.
Family.
A Good Day.



Tip of the Day:

We took chalk and bubbles to the parade with us so the boys had something to do while we staked our territory waited for the parade to start. They colored stars and wrote "Happy 4th" and Chris even had the brilliant idea to create a huge bulls-eye, which worked wonderfully at attracting candy until the bigger kids that were sitting next to us came over and stood in front of it.
Bubbles are always a hit with my kids.
Anytime.
Anywhere.
It was a little windy, so Chris took the boys over to a parking lot to blow them so they did not blow into the face of the people sitting next to us.
I am not that nice.

We took bubbles to fireworks that night as well. Dolly brought bubble wands for the boys all the way from Atlanta (i am so glad they did not open in her suitcase!) Andy loved them. Nate mistook it for a light saber. We also took a cooler with ice cream sandwiches in it (inspired years ago when Brooke O. took ice cream and root beer and we had root beer floats as we waited for it to get dark enough for the fireworks to start). Brilliant.

I felt like there was a lot of hurry up and wait this year.
Hurry up and get to the parade to get a spot.
Then, wait until it starts.
Hurry up and get to fireworks to get a spot.
And then wait until they start.
I have heard that in WFB you can claim your parade spot starting at 6am.
Just drop your blanket on the curb and it is considered claimed.
Come back a few minutes before the parade starts and it will still be there.
And for fireworks you can claim your spot with a blanket starting at 4pm.
Again, come back a few minutes before fireworks start, and your spot will be there.
I think I am going to give it a try next year...
with an old grungy blanket so no one will dare take it;)

1 comment:

Amy said...

it's true, about the blankets saving your spot and showing up minutes before the event begins. it even works at the nauvoo pagent. my dad has been doing it for as long as i can remember. :)