I bought this chair (under/behind Trudy) at a consignment store right before we moved from Iowa because I loved the shape.
I painted it white and upholstered it green floral

to coordinate with this chair
Front room circa 2009
Well,
I am not sure what the cause was, but pretty soon, I was determined I needed to get rid of my casual traditional furniture and move in a more sophisticated look. I bought a tufted velvet sofa and crystal lamps. I got rid of our denim sofa and banished country-traditional chairs.
It never felt quite right.
I spent hours looking at design blogs and planning all the things I wanted to buy and changes I wanted to make to our apartment.
Friends joked that every time they came over to my house (even if it was 2 days in the same week), the house furniture would be rearranged differently.
I had this self imposed pressure to create a perfect house.
No one else noticed (or cared).
I think a lot of it was that I had no control over life (specifically law firm life), so I had to control what I could. I obsessed over perfecting the space I was surrounded in because I felt so much stress about what I could not control/perfect.
Guess what.
I never perfected it.
Instead, I calmed down.
and stopped moving my furniture.
There are so many thing I would like to change and furniture pieces/bedding/rugs/ art / lamps I would like to buy right now. But I am not. I am happy with the way things are right now, which is reflective of the fact that I have also come to accept the chaos of our life right now. I acknowledged that my obsession with design was a distraction from missing Chris (good) but that I took it too far (bad).
The crystal lamps are gone.
The tufted velvet sofa is gone.
(I realized they aren't me (never were) as much as the denim sofa isn't me (was at one time, but not anymore). I sold the velvet sofa and crystal lamps on craigslist.
I have not rearranged any furniture in my house for 6 months.
(that's not true, I did move a rug from the family room to the boys room)
And I am happy with the "now".
But don't let that fool you in to thinking that I don't have any projects.
One thing I have always loved, and still do, is repurposing a piece I already own.
I have always been drawn to tone-on-tone chairs.
Love the conflict of a traditional frame presented in a modern way.
It boldens.
It beautifies.





This chair is currently in the process of getting a tone-on-tone treatment.
And by in the process, I mean I have been working on and off on this chair for...oh... 3 months.
Remember this beaut?

She's gettin' a little paint job.
Stay tuned!


1 comment:
Aunt Leslie asked me what my home decor 'style' is. And like I have mentioned to you before- I don't know. All I know is I have made mistakes purchasing items that fit a particular mold- but that I didn't love. What a waste of money. Now, if I love something I buy it.. trouble is my house is an eclectic mess. I could def. use your thought- Gonna take pics and send them your way TODAY! Mess and all!
Post a Comment