"A man's gotta believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing."
I can't tell you how many times I have heard this saying in my life.
My grandpa.
My brothers.
Growing up in a family of all boys
and living down the street from your fisherman grandfather,
you have more that a few chances to go fishing.
I am glad to see these (cute) girls coming out with the boys just like I did.
Let me tell you a secret.
I like fishing.
Here's why:
- The landscape is so beautiful (a new appreciation, not something I noticed as a kid)
- I got to spend time with my brothers and grandpa (and learned that drinking soda that has been boiling in the cab of a hot pick-up all day is a really bad idea.)
- I felt competent. I can bait my own hook and take a fish off the line.
- I finally just felt like one of the boys. Fishing is an equalizing sport. Young. Old. Girl. Boy.Anyone can fish. Even a little sister.
- I was part of "their world". the world of boys. of brothers. and I wanted to be terribly.
- Now that world still the "world of boys". It has grown to include a husband and sons. I am so glad I already know my way in and can be a part of it again.
To me, fishing is family.
I have never fished with anyone other than family.
Chris and I even went fishing a few times just us before we had kids.
He would bait my hook and remove my fish like a true gentleman.
I would let him.
(I said I could do those things, not that I liked to do those things).
This particular night in June was the night before the Ott Family Coon Feed (Family Reunion). There is always a fish fry and all of the cousins look forward to fishing the night before at one of Grandpa's (now Uncle Ben's) secret fishing holes to provide the fish.
While helping Andy, I took over his pole and we caught a fish.
I was 10 years old again.
and I loved it.
3 comments:
So fun. The most important thing that Cade kept reminding me to pack for Iowa was an old shirt for fishing and old jeans! Good memories.
love.
I just got teary eyed. I miss Grandpa. But I am grateful for those memories too. I am also really jealous that you guys gotta go :). Love you guys!
Post a Comment