
This morning we went to Bayshore Town Center to listen to a junior high orchestra (2 young women in our church play in it) and then stayed for Alterra cinnamon rolls (loved by Russells since 2008). As soon as we had our take-out bag Andy started screaming, "Iwantmycinnamonroll! Iwantmycinnamonroll!"
We made it out of the cafe and started to head down the sidewalk when he started to cling to me, still screaming about the cinnamon roll, but now alternating that demand with, "pleasecarryme! In an amazingly "good mom moment" , I bent down to his level and calmly said, "Andy, I will give you your cinnamon roll as soon as we get to the fountains. I can't carry you because I am carrying the bag of cinnamon rolls. We are going to walk over to the fountain and sit down and eat the cinnamon rolls, but if you want to stay here and cry, we are not going to be able to eat our cinnamon rolls."
He sniffed. Wiped his nose on his hand. Said, "Ooooh kay". And started walking toward the fountains. Just like that.
Huh.
Just like that.
So.... all of these other times that tantrums have turned in to all out brawls, was it because I lost my cool? Or did we both just have an "on day" today? Was this a magical moment that will most likely never be replicated? Or have I just been really distracted and not giving my son respect and credit for his intelligence to address his needs?
I'm pretty sure I will have a chance to test the new " listen to your child and address his needs" magic tomorrow.
Until then,
this makes me laugh.
I hope it makes you too.