Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pirate Fest Review

Prepare for picture overload at the request of the grandmas.



Nate was dressed at ready to go at 6am.
We didn't need to leave until 7:30 for our 8am reservation.
I turned on Muppet Treasure Island and jumped in the shower.
After I got dressed, Nate looked at me disappointedly and said, "where's your costume, Mom?"

Right.

Back to the closet.
After dawning 2 scarves (one as a sash and one as a head dress), big earrings and ever bangle I own, I was pirate-approved, ready for the festivities.

Unfortunately, in our rush to get out the door (why are we always in a rush at the last minute even if we are up 2 hours before we need to be out the door?) I did not take a picture of Andy or myself fully dressed, thinking we would get one later. That never happens!

Breakfast at Newport Shores was definitely worth it. Here's why, even though it was a bit pricey ($28 for us three, buffet).
1) They got 1 on 1 attention from the pirates who teased them (ate food off of their plate), and reward them with coins for cleaning their plate (which made nate go get more food so he could "earn more money"). Nate was tattooed with their clan's signature mark (something that was the envy of the boys at the festival)When you try to talk to the pirates out at the festival (these guys and others) it's more of a passing by "hi" rather than a conversation. Plus you have 20 other kids vying for their attention. So basically I bought their attention at breakfast. The boys really loved it.

2) It was a great "soft" intro the Pirate Fest. They did not seem so scary while sitting eating breakfast with you as opposed to a huge crowd of people all in costume with swords and knives and guns hanging from them yelling "ARGH!" at you because you are dressed like a pirate. I think if we would have skipped the breakfast and just went to the festival the boys would have been a little overwhelmed. It gave them a chance to adjust and "get in to character" so they could enjoy the rest of the day. It makes sense. When I say, "we're going to Pirate Fest" they have no idea what to think. Breakfast was a great way to prepare them for the day.

3) It was before the festival started (at 10am) so we were out on the grounds before it opened up. We watched some pirates mock sword fight (practice for "the pirate invasion" later that morning when they came to rescue their captain from the calvary).

4) Once out at the festival, the pirates recognized my kids and would say," our breakfast mate!" and come over to talk with them or sword fight with them. It made the boys feel really good to be recognized by the pirates and be considered their "mate".









After breakfast we walked around the marina (the smell of water and gas and oil really takes me back to my Lake Powell childhood. 'sigh'.) The boys were waved to, smiled at, greeted with "ahoy thar matey" or "argh!" all of which they shied away from and clung to my leg. I think they forgot they were dressed like pirates. I thought they would eat it up, but when an old man in a very realistic pirate suit with very real tattoos and piercings is "argh-ing" you. You're just not sure what's real and what's fake anymore.
It was HOT. Even at 10am. Immediately after leaving our air condition breakfast we bagged the hats. Next the belt and bandanas. I was really glad I opted for nickers and sandals (or for Andy, always, ALWAYS his car clogs- Thanks alot MOM.) When the newspaper photographer asked if he could photograph the boys, I did not have the heart to put all their stuff back on.


For some reason, the pictures that we took of sword fight practice are really washed out.

I tried to adjust the exposure, but since I have no idea how to edit pictures, it didn't help much.
But you get the idea.

As if we could go to Lake Michigan (Port Washington is 20 min directly north of us right on the lake like us) without a little rock throwing.
Andy: "take a picture of me, Mom".
I have never heard those words, and probably never will again.
I frantically snapped a picture in my surprised stupor.
And a second one!

And a third!
The scarf knot/bun started to come out (as you can see) so I ditched it right after this photo.

While Andy and I were having a little photo shoot, Nate was sword fighting with his "breakfast mate" (who sounds/ acted exactly like Captain Jack Sparrow. His inflections and body mannerisms were spot on.)

3 seconds after this photo was snapped, Nate hit him hard on the back.
4 seconds after this photo was snapped, Nate's sword was taken away.



This pirate (woman) told me she had been taking pictures of our family secretly, so I asked her to take one of us with my camera. She probably had a picture of us all fully dressed, but I didn't want to ask her to email it to me. Actually, I did want to, but i didn't have a pen, or anything with my email on it, so I didn't. I just asked her to take this one.

Things to know about this picture.
1)The little boy next to Nate. Don't know him.
2) This is our breakfast crew. The big guy on the left ate his breakfast out of his hat. Nate thought it was hilarious.
3) I thought the woman pirate was so inappropriate.Her stomach was completely exposed, and her chest, for the most part. I could not believe she was dressed like that at the "kids" breakfast. Yuck.
4) This was not the first time Nate was caught picking his nose with his hook/sword.
Things I did not like about Pirate Fest:
There were no maps or programs. I had written down the activities we to do/ entertainment we wanted to see and their times, but of course, left it in the car. There were no itineraries anywhere. Must make sure to have our own.

There were too make women dressed like hookers.

There was no ice cream.

Or chocolate.

Things I did like at Pirate Fest:
lots of restrooms
very clean
never saw anyone smoking
never heard anyone swear
in other words, very family friendly.
There was a lot of entertainment (not photographed)