Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Pirates Life for Me


Sucess!

Two things I really wanted to do today actually got done!
1) get pirates costumes read for tomorrow
2) visit a new playground

I have a goal to visit a different playground every week this summer because Milwaukee has so many great ones. If you live in the area, and want to meet up, email me and I will let you know when our next park exploration is. Great sites to get park locations are:

I can't wait for the free wading pools/splash pads to open in a few weeks!

Milwaukee Moms' is particularly good because it posts a picture, tells you if there are restrooms, reviews from other moms, etc.



Quick and easy DIY pirate costumes:
1) buy dress shirts from Good Will, on the cheap, a few sizes too big
2) Good will is also a great place to get costume jewelry and belts
3) Good Will is also a great place to buy pants- a few sizes too small so they are knickers
(can you tell I love Good Will. There is a reason I once had the nickname GoodWill Girl)

4) if you live in the area Bartz in Wauwatosa (kinda by the zoo) is a great, year round, costume store with great prices. We picked up a hat for Andy, swords, hooks, balloons (who doesn't love a balloon) and a few sand toys. Fantastic store. MOM, you would love it!

5) Assembly: cut off collar, cuffs and edge of shirt (on both sides) where buttons are/ button holes are. Sew shirt closed 3/4 the way up(be careful not to sew the back! It is surprisingly hard to sew the front together without sewing it to the back... trust me). Leave the last 1/4 open from the neckline down. Poke holes with scissors on each side of v-neck opening. tread holes with leather straps, shoes laces- or if you don't have any of that- just yarn (like I did).

Total cost: 2 pants, 2 shirts, 1 belt: $7


Tomorrow we will be rocking these tunes:

See you at Pirate Fest!