Reading Challenge Kick Off:
Last night I decorated the boys' rooms with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs theme (a favorite book).Decorations: pasta strung together, yarn wrapped around foam balls= meat balls, cotton batting= clouds. I did not have enough "clouds" and will need to make a stop at the fabric store tomorrow, and 1/2 of the decorations were pulled down by the end of the morning from the boys jumping on the bed trying to hit them, but it was worth it. When Nate woke up and saw the decorations he begged to wake Andy up and was so excited to start reading books right away. Even (gasp!) before breakfast!
The reason I decided to do this is because we have been reading chapter books to the boys at night, which I love, but I do not like that it has replace all the picture books we had been reading at bedtime. The boys were less than thrilled to use play time during the day to read books, in other words, I think they liked to read so many books at bed time as a way to delay bedtime. Duh, right?

Reading Chart.
I will mark our progress each day.
I am thinking horizontal strips that look the spine of a book.
So that in the end, it looks like a stack of books.
(not sure how to do this yet...)
The challenge is to read 100 books. When they read 100 books, we will go to the book store and pick out any book they want. Whether it is a Lego Star Wars book or a new book for their Tag- they get to pick. AND hopefully they will pick a really awesome book the first time they reach the goal and it will motivated them to read more and more to achieve the goal again and again. I am already planning to change the decorating theme every few weeks/ once a month and am counting on the excitement dying down, but hopefully by then we will be in a routine of reading during the day.
Chris TOTALLY nailed the voices tonight while reading Princess Bride. It was the scene of Fezek, Inigo and the Sicilian noticing they are being followed by a boat, and climbing the cliff, again noticing they are being followed. A lot of dialog. Andy, especially, thought it was hilarious when Chris talking in the Sicilian's voice. (Nate: "What's a Sicilian?").
What do you do to encourage your kids to read?
(Post to FB or email me until I figure out how to turn the comments back on)